Re: Initialisation sequencing.

From: Jamey Hicks
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 21:59:58 EST

Ian Molton wrote:

Hi.

I have a problem. It affects both modular and non modular builds, and I dont see an obviously correct solution.

The problem is that I have a video chip which supports some GPIOs and an LCD display.

some LCD functions are controlled via the GPIOs, like backlighting.

so the driver is split into a video driver which exports three GPIO related functions, and a backlight driver which requires them to work. Both are on the platform bus.

the problem occurs when the backlight driver gets probed before the video driver. it tries to access the GPIO functions, which try to write to random locations as the memory hasnt been ioremap()ed by the as yet unprobed video driver, and it all predictably falls over in a gibbering heap.

I cant spin at this point without deadlocking the video driver and ending up never being able to call the gpio functions, for obvious reasons.

I've tried making the backlight driver a child of the video driver, hoping the probe functions are called in 'bus order', ie. parents first. This failed.

I could make the backlight driver initialise late, but that seems like a hack. scheduling work risks deadlock.

I think initialising the backlight driver after the core of the driver that implements the GPIO is the right thing. The backlight_device framework includes a notifier chain so that the video driver can take the right action when the backlight driver is registered. Using soc to split the chip driver into a core, backlight and video might be another option that lets you bring up the backlight driver before the video driver.

Jamey