Re: Complicated networking problem

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 22:45:51 EST

On Mar 01, 2005, at 22:27, Jarne Cook wrote:
Damn

Having to configure the interfaces using bonding was not really the answer I
was expecting.

I did not think linux would be that rigid. I figured if poodoze is able to do
it (seamlessly mind you), surely linux (with some tinkering) would be able to
do it also.

The goal was to have the networking on the laptop work as perfectly as
crapdoze does.

Perhaps I should and this topic to my list of software issues that no-one else
cares about. "man that list is getting big". maybe one day I'll develop the
balls to get deep into the code.

Well, what exactly is the desired behavior for you? If you have two network
interfaces to the same local network, the default config will pick a random
one (They're both equal-cost unless you tell it otherwise) and send ARPs and
everything else through that one interface. If you take it down, it may
require a minute or so to update the rest of the network to the new hardware
address, but eventually they will figure it out. I suppose if that is the
expected config, you could tell the box to send out a gratuitous ARP packet
when you reconfigure interfaces, but that's a userspace issue in any case.

As far as networking is concerned, a subnet is an atomic networking unit.
Everything on it is considered directly and equally attached to everything
else, unless informed otherwise via a switch protocol. Any system that
doesn't follow that rule is broken.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett