Re: Network speed Linux-2.6.10

From: Lee Revell
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 15:47:22 EST

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 12:30 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 12:20 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> >
> >>What happens if you just don't muck with the NIC and let it auto-negotiate
> >>on it's own?
> >

> > This can be asking for trouble too (auto negotiation is often buggy).
> > What if you hard set them both to 100/full?
>
> I have not noticed any buggy autonegotiation with the e100 driver in several
> years...

Sorry, I misread the post. He tried this.

I was under the impression this was due to inconsistent implementation
of autonegotiation in hardware. When I was an ISP sysadmin we had this
problem with various devices (Cisco switches, Linux and BSD/OS
machines). A device would get power cycled and one side would come up
100/full, the other 100/half. We ended up hard setting everything.

Lee