Re: Data corruption with pktcdvd, kernel 2.6.10 (additional results)

From: Paul
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 01:21:54 EST

Hi;

Out of curiosity, I tried using the ide-scsi driver, instead
of the default ide-cdrom driver. These attempts failed in various
ways, including an oops, which I wont try to detail, as I seem to
recall this is known not working.
From some of the error message that experiment resulted in,
and recent comments on linux-kernel about how the ide-cdrom driver
might not propogate errors, I tried again, but with 'hdparm -a0 -d0'
on the drive. This also had files ending in blocks of zeros and completely
zero files, but far fewer....
Next, I tried making an ext2 fs instead of udf on the dvd+rw
disc, in addition to the -a0 -d0 hdparm settings. This made a dramatic
difference. The copy of the 2.6.10 kernel tree took around 2 minutes
from start to sync completion, vs. around 30 minutes on the udf fs.
And there was no corruption of files, as verifed by diff -r afterwards.
(all this using the pktcdvd device)
To me, this implies that write support for udf is shady,
or that it simply triggers some deeper bug. At the very least it
is grossly less efficient than ext2 for this task. Having udf
working well for this would be best, however, for portability.

Paul
set@xxxxxxxxx