Re: status of the USB ov511.c driver in kernel 2.6?

From: Richard Hughes
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 18:24:47 EST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:48:13 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> - there's no *_decomp.c module in the kernel sources

If I remember correctly people are bit uneasy about putting
decompression of proprietary codecs into to the kernel.

See
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg04778.html

Every kernel release I end up building an external module just to get my
OV518 usb webcam to work. (It requires decompression support) Not cool.

> Are there any reasons why the upstream driver can't be resynced with the
> kernel?

I think ovcamchip is from the development branch, but ov511 is from the
stable branch. Not sure about that. Best bet is contact Mark McClelland
(maintainer) here:

mmcclell <atsign> calpoly.edu
or mark <atsign> alpha.dyndns.org

Richard Hughes