Re: Shutdown after 6 years 2 months 25 days: 2.0.36 declared stable!

From: Fao, Sean
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 09:57:12 EST

Thomas Voegtle wrote:

486 DX 33Mhz

I don't know if you can still find them, but the Evergreen upgrade kits worked pretty well on my old 486's (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2640). It brought the processor up to 133 MHz. Not too shabby for an old PC that would be collecting dust in most peoples houses. I now use it only as a firewall/router for my home network; but I'll take whatever speed increases I can get since I commonly compile updates directly on that system. I needed iptables, so I'm running a 2.4.2? kernel. The only time this system goes down is when the power goes out (no UPS yet). I think the longest I've made it is about two months. I'm quite certain I could have uptimes as high as a year or more if I had a battery.

Talk to you later,

--
Sean E. Fao