Re: [Lse-tech] Re: A common layer for Accounting packages

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 02:43:41 EST

Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok the protocol is maybe too "basic" but with this mechanism the user
> space application that uses the fork connector can start and stop the
> send of messages. This implementation needs somme improvements because
> currently, if two application are using the fork connector one can
> enable it and the other don't know if it is enable or not, but the idea
> is here I think.

Yes. But this problem can be solved in userspace, with a little library
function and a bit of locking.

IOW: use the library to enable/disable the fork connector rather than
directly doing syscalls.

It has the problem that if a client of that library crashes, the counter
gets out of whack, but really, it's not all _that_ important, and to handle
this properly in-kernel each client would need an open fd against some
object so we can do the close-on-exit thing properly. You'd need to create
a separate netlink socket for the purpose.