Re: [2.6 patch] deprecate EXPORT_SYMBOL(do_settimeofday)

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 12:30:30 EST

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 06:13:25PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> You call it "breakage" because you have a relatively dogmatic view
> regarding the selection of user visible symbols.
> Other people care more about the usability of the kernel config system,
> and therefore a select of one of the I2C* options is quite common from
> both outside and inside the i2c subsystem.

I think you have to realise that we're different in the ARM world.
We tend to rely on the default configuration files to come out with
something that works, rather than hard coding the "what works" into
the kernel configuration subsystem.

If you want to see an example of this kind of "usability" approach,
take a look at arch/arm/Kconfig LEDS options - lines of 250 or so
characters of dependencies. Not what I'd call particularly
maintainable.

That is what your approach has in store for the other Kconfig files
when it comes down to getting dependencies Correct(tm).

(I do have a simplified LEDS configuration set, but it still keeps
one huge LEDS dependency.)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/