Re: [2.6 patch] deprecate EXPORT_SYMBOL(do_settimeofday)

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 12:14:16 EST

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 04:46:13PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> There are a number of ARM platforms which use a Ricoh RTC chip, and
> the driver for this will live in drivers/i2c/chips/ricoh-rtc.c. This
> is a stand alone driver in its own sense, handling the power management
> issues (saving the time offset/restoring the time) and setting the
> system time upon its initialisation. (In turn, this requires some i2c
> patches which add power management to the i2c subsystem to be merged
> first.)
>
> It's already used in some ARM platforms, including one which I was
> involved in. It just hasn't been merged.
>
> As far as drivers/acorn/char i2c rtc stuff goes, I plan to make this
> a full and proper i2c citizen, so adding breakage to the Kconfig with
> random select statements for publically viewable symbols isn't the
> way to go.

You call it "breakage" because you have a relatively dogmatic view
regarding the selection of user visible symbols.
Other people care more about the usability of the kernel config system,
and therefore a select of one of the I2C* options is quite common from
both outside and inside the i2c subsystem.

There are two possbile situations:
- these RTC drivers are nice add-ons that could be shown if all
required I2C* options are already enabled
- these RTC drivers are pretty essential and should really be enabled
on the platforms they are for

Which of these two cases describes the situation of these RTC drivers?

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed