Re: pty_chars_in_buffer NULL pointer (kernel oops)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 22:43:45 EST

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> BTW, I fail to see any drivers/char/pty.c change related to the race which triggers
> the pty_chars_in_buffer->0 oops.

Indeed, I don't think 2.6.x got that merged, because it was never really
clear _which_ fix was the right one (the extra locking was absolutely
deadly for performance, the hacky one was a tad _too_ hacky ;)

Alan, did you ever decide what the proper locking would be? I've applied
the hacky "works by hiding the problem" patch for 2.6.11 which didn't have
any subtle performance issues associated with it.

Linus