Re: [-mm patch] seccomp: don't say it was more or less mandatory

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 20:33:47 EST

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:14:54PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> You don't need this feature unless you know you need it.

But you may not know that you need it since in the help text I
intentionally didn't mention which software requires the option to be
set to Y (I didn't mention it, since I didn't want to use the kernel
configuration help text to get free advertisement, but OTOH if people is
unsure while they configure the kernel I certainly prefer that they set
it to Y ;).

> It's not about risk or the actual size of the code - there are many
> small or big features in the kernel that might be useful under some
> circumstances, but even the IPv6 help text still suggests to say N
> to IPv6.

IPV6 is some relevant amount of code and complexity, seccomp is only a
few bytes and very simple, it's not even a kbyte of ram that you're
paying if you enable it. Only embedded cares about bytes, and that's why
the option exists for embedded.

One thing I'm concerned about (more than the "Y" in the help text) is
that the distributions will enable the option in their binary kernel
images. I hope they will given it's only a matter of a few bytes.

Thanks.