Re: [2.6 patch] unexport do_settimeofday

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 04:35:01 EST

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 02:26 -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2005 09:47 +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure. But there must have been a reason to export it in the first place.
> >
> > sloppy coding?
>
> Who knows? Maybe someone developed a kernel module that interfaces to an
> unusual clock chip on their motherboard. IMHO, all of this "_I_ don't
> see any use for it, lets get rid of it because it's not useful" changing
> is just a source of grief for anyone that doesn't have their code in
> the kernel.

actually exports cause kernels to be bigger. Some of these exports
aren't even used in the kernel entirely, others cause the kernel to be
bigger just by being non-static and having the symbol structures there.
A lot of them are "you really shouldn't" APIs.

By your argument, why bother with exports at all?