Re: [Lse-tech] Re: A common layer for Accounting packages

From: Jay Lan
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 20:56:56 EST

Hi Paul,

I think the microbenchmarking your link provides is irrelevant.
Your link provides benchmarking of doing a fork.

However, we are talking about inserting a callback routine
in a fork and/or an exit. The overhead is a function
call and time spent in the routine. The callback routine
can be configured to "do {} while (0)" if a certain CONFIG
flag is not set.

Thanks,
- jay

Paul Jackson wrote:
So, I think such a fork/execve/exit hooks is harmless now.

I don't recall seeing any microbenchmarking of the impact on fork/exit
of such hooks. You might find such a benchmark in lmbench, or at
http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/.