[reiserfs] 100% cpu consum - normal?

From: Nico Schottelius
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 16:53:11 EST

Hello!

I once again tried reiserfs, this time on my ibook:

ei ~ # mkreiserfs -V
mkreiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

ei ~ # uname -a
Linux ei 2.6.10 #5 Sun Feb 6 17:26:47 CET 2005 ppc 750CXe PowerBook4,1 GNU/Linux

If I tar xf $big_tar (speaking about the gcc-source), my system hangs:

- no console switching
- all keyboard input is lost
- no mouse reaction
- no network response
- no display refreshing

When doing that on my dm-crypt-jfs home partition this does not happen.
Nor does it on my xfs root partition.

Is that a normal behaviour of reiserfs 3.6?

Greetings,

Nico

P.S.: I never assumed reiserfs will ever be a stable filesystem, but this
is the worst result I have with it. Perhaps I am missing
some tuning/mount option?

PPS: Please CC and confirm, I am not subscribed.

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
Please use pgp encryption: 8D0E 27A4 is my id.