Re: Odd data corruption problem with LVM/ReiserFS

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 14:47:37 EST

pcg( Marc)@goof(A.).(Lehmann )com wrote:
I use both reiserfs and ext3 on lvm/dm on raid.

Both filesystems have issues when restoring from backup (i.e. very heavy
write activity).

I did report this to the linux kernel, and got as reply that there are
indeed races *somewhere*, but as of yet there is no fix.

The symptoms are _not_ I/O errors (but until I see logs I wouldn't believe
you that there are real I/O errors), but usually too-high block numbers.

To clarify: there were no disk I/O errors, only I/O errors were reported by find during operation so it is definitely filesystem corruption that is going on here.
Though find performs heavy read activity there could well be heavy write activity be involved due to atime updates so this fits your description.

A reboot fixes this for both ext3 and reiserfs (i.e. the error is gone).

Well, it didn't fix it for me. The fs was trashed for good. The major question for me is now usability of md/dm for any purpose with 2.6.x. For me this is a showstopper for any kind of 2.6 production use.
--
Andreas Steinmetz SPAMmers use robotrap@xxxxxxxx