APM Suspend with savagefb

From: j@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 10:15:35 EST

Hi,

If i compile my IBM Thinkpad T23 to use APM and the savagefb driver for a framebuffer console, it will hang when resuming from a suspend or hibernate. The system is unresponsive, the screen is totally blank and no input makes any difference, it is necessary to hard reset the system..
This behavior can be reproduced on 2.6.10-ac10, 2.6.10, and 2.6.11-rc2
When compiling any of these versions without framebuffer support, suspend and hibernate work perfectly. It is also not possible for me to use ACPI currently as (aside from this problem) the suspend/resume/hibernate code is nowhere near as stable.
The videocard is identified as:
Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev 5).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=255.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xc0100000 [0xc017ffff].
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8000000 [0xebffffff].
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe7ffffff].
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe1ffffff].

I'm using kernel commandline "video=savagefb:1024x768@70" to enable the savage framebuffer device..

Any ideas on this? Perhaps the savagefb device doesn't correctly reinitialize the display on resume? I seem to remember VesaFB worked fine with suspend/resume, tho i haven't tested that on the T23 and it would definately be preferable to have the actual savage driver.

Regards,
Bert