Re: GL520SM Sensor Chip driver fix

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 14:36:52 EST

Hi Adam,

> I've been recently trying to get my lmsensors working under
> 2.6.9, and i've found this:
>
> http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2005/Feb/2856.html
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/2/11/90
>
> kernel patch for gl520 chip, but after applying it kernel refused to
> compile. So I've fixed it using gl518sm module source code and I want
> to share the results of my work with you. I hope that it will be
> useful.
> (...)
> +static unsigned short normal_i2c_range[] = { I2C_CLIENT_END };
> +static unsigned int normal_isa_range[] = { I2C_CLIENT_ISA_END };

Ranges were taken apart in 2.6.10-rc2, and Maarten's patch was meant for
linux-2.6.11-rc3-mm2, so it comes to no surprise that you had to
reintroduce them when backporting to 2.6.9.

> static int gl520_attach_adapter(struct i2c_adapter *adapter)
> {
> - if (!(adapter->clRD_DATA))
> - goto exit;
> + if (!(adapter->class & I2C_CLASS_HWMON))
> + return 0;
> + return i2c_detect(adapter, &addr_data, gl520_detect);
> +}
>
> +static int gl520_detect(struct i2c_adapter *adapter, int address, int kind)
> +{
> + struct i2c_client *new_client;
> + struct gl520_data *data;
> + int err = 0;
> +
> + if (!i2c_check_functionality(adapter, I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_BYTE_DATA |
> + I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_WORD_DATA))
> + goto exit;
> +

I suspect that a problem happened when you retrieved the original patch
and it somehow got corrupted, because everything you restore here is
already correct in Maarten's patch.

As a summary, Maarten's patch was just fine and doesn't need any update.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare