Re: BicTCP Implementation Bug

From: Yee-Ting Li
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 11:15:54 EST

We just wanted to be sure of the implementation against the official BicTCP versions and that it was a real bug.

We are particularly concerned that the deployment of these experimental protocols (and they're not even RFCs) are too premature and that we think that they should be switched OFF by default to prevent undesirable consequences to network stability. One concern is that such protocols will steal (sometimes a lot of) bandwidth from normal network traffic.

We wrote the paper as we (amongst others) are in the process of rigourously validating and testing these TCP proposals over a wide range of network environments There are also numerous other proposals around (HSTCP, ScalableTCP, HTCP, FAST etc) that we are also testing and we would be more than happy to provide patches (excluding FAST) and experimental results as they become available.

Yee.