Re: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview II

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 04:59:21 EST

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:29:41AM -0600, Ray Bryant wrote:
> This is different than your reply above, which seems to imply that:
>
> (A) Step 1 is to migrate mapped files using mbind(). I don't understand
> how to do this in general, because:
> (a) I don't know how to make a non-racy list of the mapped files to
> migrate without assuming that the process to be migrated is
> stopped

That was just a stop gap way to do the migration before you have
xattrs for shared libraries. If you have them it's not needed.

> and (b) If the mapped file is associated with the DEFAULT memory policy,
> and page placement was done by first touch, then it is not clear
> how to use mbind() to cause the pages to be migrated, and still
> end up with the identical topological placement of pages after
> the migration.

It can be done, but it's ugly. But it really was only intended for
the shared libraries.

> (B) Step 2 is to use page_migrate() to migrate just the anonymous pages.
> I don't like the restriction of this to just anonymous pages.

That would be only in this scenario; I agree it doesn't make sense
to add it as a general restriction to the syscall.

> Fundamentally, I don't see why (A) is much different from allowing one
> process to manipulate the physical storage for another process. It's
> just stated in terms of mmap'd objects instead of pid's. So I don't
> see why that is fundamentally different from a page_migration() call
> with va_start and va_end arguments.

An mmaped object exists on its own. It's access is fully reference counted etc.

> The only problem I see with that is the following: Suppose that a user
> wants to migrate a portion of their own address space that is composed
> of (at last partly) anonymous pages or pages mapped to a file associated
> with the DEFAULT memory policy, and we want the pages to be toplogically
> allocated the same way after the migration as they were before the
> migration?

It doesn't seem very realistic to me. When a user wants to change
its own address room then they can use mbind() from the beginning
and they should know how their memory layout is.

-Andi