Re: Wake-on-LAN/PCI Linux support

From: Piotr Rzezniczak
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 15:29:25 EST

> Does Linux currently support Wake-on-LAN/PCI? I have a 3Com
> 3c905 TX-M NIC which supports wake-on-LAN and wake-on-PCI.
> On Windows XP, I have configured the system so that I can use
> "ether-wake" to wake up mysystem from standby/hibernation
> remotely through the network.
(cut)
> However, when I shut down linux by using "init 0", the system
> gets totally shut down, including the NIC. The switch port for
> the NIC shows the card is not mantaining the link and thus,
> "ether-wake" is totally useless.

I found the following solution for the same problem:
- use standard 3c59x driver from kernel sources (even for 3c90x cards)
- load this driver as a kernel module
- add the following entry in /etc/modules:
3c59x options=0x408

Wake-on-lan works properly now with 3com 905cx-tx-m card (3c905c) on my
Debian 3.1 (unstable) and 2.6.10 kernel

greetings
Piotr (djv) Rzezniczak