Re: Bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 19:16:55 EST

Hi!

> > > Just in case someone is interested, this is bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4,
> > > taken from suse kernel. I'll probably try to modify it to work with
> > > radeonfb.
> > >
> > > Any ideas why bootsplash needs to hack into vesafb? It only uses
> > > vesafb_ops to test against them before some kind of free...
> >
> > It doesn't really need vesafb for anything. Back in the days of 2.6.7
> > I used to release a version of bootsplash that had the dep. on vesafb
> > removed. It worked fine with at least some other fb drivers.
> >
> > You might also want to save yourself some work and try out an
> > alternative solution called fbsplash [1], which I designed after I got
> > tired of fixing bootsplash and which I actively maintain. Fbsplash
> > provides virtually the same functionality, and it has as much code as
> > possible moved into userspace (no more JPEG decoders in the kernel).
> >
> > [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/current/
>
> Pavel, I agree with Michal, take a look at this version of the code
> instead of the version that you posted. It's a _whole_ lot more sane,
> and possibly even mergable.

Yes, I agree, almost anything is more sane than code I posted :-(. My
only requirement is that it works with radeonfb and similar low-level
drivers (so that I can get suspend-to-ram to work) and that it gets
past our branding people...

> Michal, any thoughts on submitting it for inclusion? It seems pretty
> stable now.

How many distros do use some variant of bootsplash? SuSE does, from
above url I guess gentoo does, too... Does RedHat do something
similar? [Or do they just set log-level to very high giving them clean
look?] What about Debian?

If most distros do some kind of splash screen, anyway, it would make
sense to merge one "good" version...
Pavel