Re: Hotplug blacklist and video devices

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 11:01:42 EST

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:29:13 +0000, Matthew Garrett
<mgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For example I'm looking at making changes to DRM such that DRM will
> > require the corresponding framebuffer driver to be loaded. If you back
> > up further this is part of fixing X so that it won't mess with the
> > hardware from user space. Mode setting would come from the framebuffer
> > driver instead of the X 2D XAA driver.
>
> Please don't until all the framebuffer drivers are able to deal with
> suspend and resume (which will also require some mechanism to switch
> backlights back on). Currently, it's far easier to restore some amount
> of state on a standard VGA or VESA mode. There's no real support for
> doing so with most accelerated framebuffers.

I didn't say make framebuffer depend on DRM, you can still unload DRM
before suspend. It's the other way around DRM needs framebuffer.
Suspend/resume are part of this. In the current model there is no way
for the DRM driver to see the suspend/resume events. I haven't tried
it but I suspect a suspend/resume with DRM running has a bad outcome
right now.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx