Re: Bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4

From: Michal Januszewski
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 20:15:41 EST

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 05:52:54PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi,

> Just in case someone is interested, this is bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4,
> taken from suse kernel. I'll probably try to modify it to work with
> radeonfb.
>
> Any ideas why bootsplash needs to hack into vesafb? It only uses
> vesafb_ops to test against them before some kind of free...

It doesn't really need vesafb for anything. Back in the days of 2.6.7
I used to release a version of bootsplash that had the dep. on vesafb
removed. It worked fine with at least some other fb drivers.

You might also want to save yourself some work and try out an
alternative solution called fbsplash [1], which I designed after I got
tired of fixing bootsplash and which I actively maintain. Fbsplash
provides virtually the same functionality, and it has as much code as
possible moved into userspace (no more JPEG decoders in the kernel).

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/current/

Live long and prosper.
--
Michal 'Spock' Januszewski Gentoo Linux Developer
cell: +48504917690 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/