Re: 2.6: drivers/input/power.c is never built

From: Oliver Neukum
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 18:53:35 EST

Am Samstag, 19. Februar 2005 00:34 schrieb Pavel Machek:
> Hi!
>
> > > Well, if you have power button on usb keyboard -- why should it be
> > > handled differently from built-in button?
> >
> > I see no reason. But that tells you that one subsystem should handle
> > that, not which subsystem.
>
> If usb keyboard has power button... I do not think we really want to
> route that through acpi. And what if acpi is not available? (APM knows
> about suspend key in weird way, but not about power key).

I'd suggest to primarily care about acpi. The other important power
management subsystems will follow suit.

> > > trip points), and I do not see how you can do interrupts for fan
> > > status. Either fans are under Linux control (and kernel could tell you
> > > when it turns fan on/off, but...), or they do not exist from Linux's
> > > point of few.
> >
> > They still can have a readable rate, even if not under os control.
> > Nevertheless I don't think you can reasonably define what might
> > interest user space or not and in which detail.
>
> Well, we can say that userspace definitely is interested in "power"
> key ;-).

I wouldn't call that selfevident. The system might be eg. a ticket
vending system and we care only about wake ups from touchscreen,
trackball and modem and about volume control keys. I don't think
you can make up any rules about what user space is interested or not.

Regards
Oliver