Re: 2.6: drivers/input/power.c is never built

From: Oliver Neukum
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 17:01:59 EST

Am Freitag, 18. Februar 2005 22:34 schrieb Pavel Machek:

> Well, if you have power button on usb keyboard -- why should it be
> handled differently from built-in button?

I see no reason. But that tells you that one subsystem should handle
that, not which subsystem.

> > > I think that's all you need to trigger actions. You don't need the exact
> > > percentage of the battery, and you don't need the exact AC voltage at
> > > input.
> >
> > That is very debateable. I might want a quiet mode and would be
> > interested in notifications about thermal data and fan status.
>
> Hmm, yes, some thermal notifications are needed. OTOH I'm not sure if
> all the hardware does sent interrupts for temperature changes (you
> definitely do not get interrupts for "small" changes that do not cross

I suspect that this is really done in SMI.

> trip points), and I do not see how you can do interrupts for fan
> status. Either fans are under Linux control (and kernel could tell you
> when it turns fan on/off, but...), or they do not exist from Linux's
> point of few.

They still can have a readable rate, even if not under os control.
Nevertheless I don't think you can reasonably define what might
interest user space or not and in which detail.

Regards
Oliver