Re: 2.6: drivers/input/power.c is never built

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 15:28:43 EST

Hi!

> > > Well, plugging in a power cord is a physical user action much like
> > > closing the lid is, much like pressing the power button is, much like
> > > pressing a key is.
> >
> > What about power dying and my UPS switing on? I think it is out of
> > input layer,
>
> Yes, I was thinking about this, too. An UPS is pretty much the same
> thing to a desktop as a battery is to a notebook. And I also got to the
> conclusion that this is a bad idea.

Well, I'm not sure if input layer is suitable for batteries... Modern
battery has quite a lot of parameters. It can tell you current
voltage, current capacity (either mAh or mWh), design capacity, last
capacity at full charge, current current, battery's estimate of run
time (which may be better than system's estimate), ... But some
batteries only know percentage of energy left, and some batteries only
know current voltage (you can estimate %left from that). I'm not sure
if input system can handle all that complexity...

Pavel