use of TASK_SIZE to determine user/kernel

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 12:05:09 EST

We are looking at a 32-bit architecture implementation were we can have distinct address spaces for user and kernel, thus allowing 4G's for each. In doing this we have come across the use of TASK_SIZE to determine if an address is user vs kernel (example mm/memory.c). I'm wondering is it just sufficient to set TASK_SIZE to 0xffffffff? This feels wrong to me, since it would imply that all the places that are testing will never need access to the kernel memory space.

thanks

- kumar