Re: 2.6.10: irq 12 nobody cared!

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 19:39:34 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Joshua Kwan wrote:

> Just migrated to 2.6.10 on an old VIA MVP3 box and I'm getting this:
>
> irq 12: nobody cared!

IRQ 12 should be your PS/2 mouse irq too. It seems your wireless card
shares that interrupt, which is unusual, but not necessarily wrong.

My guess is that the wireless card - or the mouse controller - has that
interrupt pending even before the driver gets to initialize, and depending
on just which one loads first, it will be unhappy - because it will see an
interrupt that it isn't able to handle, and that thus just isn't going
away..

Does the box still work? It may well be that once all drivers have had a
chance to initialize their hardware properly, the problem is just gone,
and that the interim reports about not being able to handle the irq are
just temporary noise.

Of course, even if it works, the noise _is_ actually indicative of a
problem. There shouldn't be any pending interrupts, especially not
level-triggered ones. And it can cause a non-working mouse if you don't
load the driver for the wireless card (or vice versa).

What was the previous kernel you ran on that machine, just out of
interest? If it hasn't happened before, it would be interesting to know
when it started happening...

Linus