Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and givedev=/dev/hdX as device

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 18:03:16 EST

kernel wrote:
On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:48, Kiniger, Karl (GE Healthcare) wrote:

I can confirm that. Creating a correct iso image from a CD is a
major pain w/o ide-scsi. Depending on what one has done before the iso
image is missing some data at the end most of the time.
(paired with lots of kernel error messages)

Testing was done here using Joerg Schilling's sdd:

sdd ivsize=`isosize /dev/cdxxx` if=/dev/cdxxx of=/dev/null \
bs=<several block sizes from 2048 up tried,does not matter>

and most of the time it results in bad iso images....

Use isoinfo to get the size in 2k sectors, then
dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2k count={size} of=my_file
to pull the image. As noted elsewhere this doesn't work if the image isn't iso-9660.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)