Re: [Problem] slow write to dvd-ram since 2.6.7-bk8

From: Droebbel
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 16:58:56 EST

Some new information:

2.6.7 is ok, 2.6.7-mm2 is not ok, 2.6.7 with just the linus-patch from
mm2 is ok, 2.6.7 with linus.patch from mm3 isn't.
So I took some of the patches from the broken-out mm2 and tested them
seperately.

The vmscan-dont-reclaim-too-many-pages.patch led to the said reduction
of writing speed. I reverse-applied it to 2.6.8.1, where it seems to
solve the problem. I also reverse-applied it to the current prepatched
Ubuntu-2.6.10. It helped a bit there. Some new errors since 2.6.8, as it
seems... getting depressing a bit, this whole thing.

If you are using 2.6.7-mm1, there is another patch with even greater
impact: abs-fix.patch. Take the same + abs-fix-fix.patch from mm2.

If you might have a look at the vmscan-dont-reclaim-too-many-pages.patch
from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.7/2.6.7-mm2/broken-out/, maybe you will find out something.

Comparing the abs-fix patches from mm1 and mm2 might also help.

This is all I can do for now.

Regards

David