Re: 2.6.10 on PowerMac9,1 G5 Fan problem

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 18:39:09 EST

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:27 -0800, Ajay Patel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a single processor PowerMac G5 where
> the model property is PowerMac9,1.
> I do have therm_pm72 and I2C_keywest option
> enabled in my config. Still fans are always on.
>
> Any thermal control driver patch available for this newer G5?

Hi !

Not yet no. This one uses a new chip called the "SMU" that replace both
the old PMU (power management) and the FCU (fan control unit). I don't
know yet how to operate it to drive the fans, there is no open source
darwin driver for it and no infos available from Apple :(

Hopefully, I'll get an iMac G5 soon, which has a similar chip, so I'll
be able to do some reverse engineering and eventually figure it out.

Ben.