Re: [BUG] 2.6.11-rc[234] setfont fails on i810 after resume from ACPI-S3

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 15:35:52 EST

Hi!

> Any thoughts on this one? We should come back from resume in 30-row mode,
> shouldn't we?

Well, current state of video resume is "we are happy to see anything
at all".

> HW info
>
> Using vga=0xf07, default8x16 font, display has 30 lines
>
> On powerup from S3 console has only 25 lines but still scrolls
> at 30 lines. Setfont historically fixes it.
>
> Tested with 2.6.10, 2.6.11-rc1: OK
>
> Tested with 2.6.11-rc2-Vanilla and 2.6.11-rc[234]+swsusp2.
> When using setfont, screen goes blank. Power up after S3
> returns console in 25 lines mode with 30 lines scroll.
> Several attempts - same result.

So... screen goes blank even when suspend is not involved, right?
Sounds like a bug to me ;-).

> Another bug I see only on this HW and only with 2.6 is that
> when - and only when - using gentoo emerge --usepackage in
> text console, scroll area resets to _25_ when portage
> "dumps" the (binary) package contents which scrolls pretty
> fast. I was unable to reproduce this in any other way.
> Tried also echo loop in bash but perhaps it is too slow
> or not random enough. Note that 2.4.2[789] no problem.

Well, dumping random stuff to console can produce funny results. I'd
call that normal. Try cat /dev/urandom, that should be "enough
random".

Pavel