keyring API, pam and user space

From: Steve French
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 13:34:58 EST

As I was trying to decipher the kernel keyring API this morning, I noticed the gnome-keyring/gnom-keyring manager which I thought might have already implemented a pam module to store logon info (userid/password at a minimum) in the kernel keyring (could avoid the need for prompting for the users password in the mount utility - and could better impement "multiuser mounts" across the network ie if I can get at the password and username in kernel for a particular uid I could automatically setup and usie the correct authenticated session for each uid on the client without user intervention if the client is configured for that). We do have a quick and dirty pam module for storing the passwords via the kernel keyring API but it is a little ugly since we could not find a good header with the syscalls etc. already defined.

Unfortunately in grepping through the current gnome-keyring and gnome-keyring-manager code from ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources I don't see any calls to the kernel API in the gnome keyring code so I doubt that the gnome keyring would be any help. Has there been any work to integrate user space tools (pam helper, keyring GUI and libs) with the relatively new kernel keyring code?