Re: [BK] upgrade will be needed

From: Anton Ertl
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 10:23:41 EST

Alexandre Oliva writes:
>They can always pay for the non-free license to get that, I suppose.

As far as I understand it, there are only non-free licences for
Bitkeeper. For one you pay with money, for the other with freedom.

While I am posting in this thread, I have a few questions to Larry
McVoy:

- You wrote that you could not develop Bitkeeper as free software,
because it is economically not viable. You also write that you put
the non-compete clause in the pay-with-freedom license, because you
don't want to see a free clone of bitkeeper eat your business. So do
you consider a free Bitkeeper-like system economically viable after
all?

- You say that all information is there, in the form of the patches.
Could Bitkeeper reconstruct the Linux tree(s) from the patches alone?

- anton
anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Most things have to be believed to be seen