Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001 release

From: Stefan Seyfried
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 10:19:57 EST

Lee Revell wrote:

> That init scripts with no interdependencies are run sequentially rather
> than in parallel.
>
> There was an article from IBM a while back with a neat hack that used a
> parallel make to fire off groups of init scripts in parallel. I would
> expect more interest in this from the distros.

You can boot a SUSE 9.2 with parallel init scripts (default AFAIR),
sequential init scripts and with a Makefile based solution. "Normal"
(not Makefile based) parallel booting is possible much longer on SUSE,
at least since 9.0 IIRC.
And guess what? "Parallel booting" alone, regardless of the mechanism
does not make much of a difference for the boot time.

Stefan