Re: What is the purpose of a GPIO controller

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:12:20 EST

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 19:19 +0530, krishna wrote:
> Can any one tell me what is the purpose of GPIO controllers.

I'm not sure what question you are asking... GPIO controllers are
clearly for the purpose of controlling GPIO pins. GPIO stands for
general purpose i/o, so they are used for all sorts of things.

For example, hardware designers hook up all sorts of things to GPIO
lines: input switches, reset lines to other chips on the board, leds,
relays. I have boards where an i2c bus has been constructed using 2 gpio
lines, another gpio is used to control the LCD backlight, etc, etc.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Opeth - To Rid the Disease

The pollution's at that awkward stage. Too thick to navigate and too
thin to cultivate.
-- Doug Sneyd