Re: [ACPI] Call for help: list of machines with working S3

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 07:58:00 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
> (1) systems where video state is preserved over S3.
>
> (2) systems where it is possible to call video bios during S3
> resume. Unfortunately, it is not correct to call video BIOS at that
> point, but it happens to work on some machines. Use
> acpi_sleep=s3_bios.
>
> (3) systems that initialize video card into vga text mode and where BIOS
> works well enough to be able to set video mode. Use
> acpi_sleep=s3_mode on these.
>
> (4) on some systems s3_bios kicks video into text mode, and
> acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode is needed.
>
> (5) radeon systems, where X can soft-boot your video card. You'll need
> patched X, and plain text console (no vesafb or radeonfb), see
> http://www.doesi.gmxhome.de/linux/tm800s3/s3.html.
>
> (6) other radeon systems, where vbetool is enough to bring system back
> to life. Do vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/delme; echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep;
> vbetool post; vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/delme; setfont
> <whatever>, and your video should work.
>
> Acer TM 800 vga=normal, X patches, see webpage (5)

Acer TM 650 (Radeon M7)

vga=normal plus boot-radeon (webpage(5)) works to get text console
back. But switching to X freezes the computer completely.

X from debian sid.
XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-10 20041215174925 fabbione@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Release Date: 15 August 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 15 December 2004

I would like to get X running to, but there are no traces in the logfile
whatsoever to be seen. Pity.

So it seems that my laptop does not fall in any of these categories.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Università di Siena
sip:preining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx +43 (0) 59966-690018