Re: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview

From: Robin Holt
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 06:07:01 EST

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:29:45PM -0600, Ray Bryant wrote:
> which is what you are asking for, I think. The library's job
> (in addition to suspending all of the processes in the list for
> the duration of the migration operation, plus do some other things
> that are specific to sn2 hardware) would be to examine the

You probably want the batch scheduler to do the suspend/resume as it
may be parking part of the job on nodes that have memory but running
processes of a different job while moving a job out of the way for a
big-mem app that wants to run on one of this jobs nodes.

> do memory placement by first touch, during initialization. This is,
> in part, because most of our codes originate on non-NUMA systems,
> and we've typically done very just what is necessary to make them

Software Vendors tend to be very reluctant to do things for a single
architecture unless there are clear wins.

Thanks,
Robin