Re: [OT] speeding boot process (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001release)

From: Jim Crilly
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 01:16:58 EST

Nigel Cunningham said the following:
You warmed my heart until...

Good to know someone reads my email =)

Why not? :> I guess you mean to the problem of slow booting in the first
place - I would agree with you there, but is there are reason why we
should have booting being the norm instead of normally suspending and
resuming, and only rebooting for new kernels/hardware/etc.

Don't get me wrong, I would go nuts without swsusp2 on my notebook and I don't see why that shouldn't be a valid avenue to pursue; even for servers it doesn't seem like a terribly bad idea. But for me it only works on 1 out of my 4 machines. The 3 non-working machines have their root and swap on SCSI devices and to top it off 2 of them are non-x86 architectures.

Another issue would be dual-booting, which a lot of people still do for some strange reason. At least I had noticed that Windows tends to have problems when filesystems it had mounted before the hibernation are altered while it's not running. I'm not sure if similar issues would apply to Linux, hell I'm not even sure if it still applies to Windows because that was so long ago that I had noticed.

Regards,

Nigel

Jim.