Re: [OT] speeding boot process (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001release)

From: Jim Crilly
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 22:41:08 EST

Lee Revell said the following:
The reason I marked by response OT is that the time from power on to
userspace does not seem to be a big problem. It's the amount of time
from user space to presenting a login prompt that's way too long. My
distro (Debian) runs all the init scripts one at a time, and GDM is the
last thing that gets run. There is just no reason for this. We should
start X and initialize the display and get the login prompt up there
ASAP, and let the system acquire the DHCP lease and start sendmail and
apache and get the date from the NTP server *in the background while I
am logging in*. It's not rocket science.

That is one of the "features" that I hate most about Windows. All you really do is move the delays around. For instance, my Windows machine at work is joined to a domain and has the Novell NetWare client installed for NDS auth (don't ask) so when the GINA comes up, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, enter my password and wait staring at an hourglass while the GINA waits for network connectivity to come up so that it can authenticate me. And even if authentication was local and I got logged in right away, chances are good that I have mapped drives or printers on the network that I will have to wait for during the login process anyway.

I agree boot up is too slow and that some things should be started in the background, but not things that are required for the main purpose of the box to work properly, what should be started sync and what should be async is a hard decision IMO. Right now I use swsusp2 to work around this, it takes less time to resume my session + 500M of file cache than it does to boot manually and start all of my apps back up, but obviously that's not a real solution.

Lee

Jim.