Re: Please open sysfs symbols to proprietary modules

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 21:49:22 EST

> You shouldn't, although many people do. It's a derived work and hence the
> GPL is applicable. The only exception we make is for code which was
> written for other operating systems and was then ported to Linux.

As one of the copyright holders I make no such exception. Its either a
derived work in law or its not. In the former case obey the license or
remove every line of code derived from anything I wrote.

If it's not a derived work then fine. If you aren't sure ask your
lawyer.

[Sorry I'm sort of obliged to reply to this comment to prove I'm
defending my
copyrights and not accepting various positions Linus and others may
claim
exist. I believe others like the FSF whose code is used in the kernel
have
similar views]

Alan