Re: How to get the maximum output from dmesg command

From: DervishD
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 11:19:47 EST

Hi Srinivas :)

* Srinivas G. <srinivasg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> How to get maximum output from dmesg command?
> I am unable to see all my debug messages after loading my driver.
> I think there is a restriction in displaying the dmesg output.
> I saw in printk.c file under source directory. There I found LOG_BUF_LEN
> is 16384.

You can change this value using the configuration, namely
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT. The value you store here is used to determine
LOG_BUF_LEN=2^CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT. You seem to have '14' as the
value of CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT. Increase it to 16 and you will have 4
times the current length for the dmesg buffer.

I'm assuming you're using a more or less recent 2.4.x kernel. I
suppose that the same is applicable to 2.6.x kernels.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/