Re: [Problem] slow write to dvd-ram since 2.6.7-bk8

From: Droebbel
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 07:36:38 EST

On Mo, 2005-02-14 at 11:53 +0100, Tino Keitel wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:25:34 +0100, Droebbel wrote:
>> Which 2.6.7 did you use?
>
>Only 2.6.7 with a -mm patch, since vanilla 2.6.7 screwed up my system
>clock, and the noapic option which was suggested to unscrew the clock
>screwed up the USB driver etc... :-(

Which -mm patch? If that patch contains the error, the bk8 contains it
as well and the bk7 doesn't, that might already make serching a bit
easier. Or maybe 2.6.6, if you want a stable release. Not tested yet.

>What kernels do you suggest me to test?
You might try the last working one, 2.6.7 with bk7. You might as well
have to replace the drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c with on from a later virsion
(>bk15), as the cdrom device is generally marked write-protected with
bk2 to bk14.
But instead of just trying those kernel versions, I think we might try
and find the changes that might have had the unfortunate side effect. I
am admittedly not too good at that, as I do not even know C (shame on
me).

>And what test procedure? Thisis what I do in such cases:
>
>time { dd if=/dev/zero of=<path/to/bighile> bs=1024k count=<bignum> ; sync ; }
This is what I did.

>I'd be very happy to see a fix for this since backups to DVD-RAM are
>awfully slow at the moment.
I've been after this for months now, before finally posting here...

Regards

David