Linux 2.6.8.1 CPU Scheduler Documentation

From: Josh Aas
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 19:24:33 EST

Hello,

I have written an introduction to the Linux 2.6.8.1 CPU scheduler implementation. It should help people to understand what is going on in the scheduler code faster than they would be able to by just reading through the code. The paper can be downloaded in PDF or LyX form from here:

http://josh.trancesoftware.com/linux/

This paper will never be "done," as I'd like to keep improving it over time, and updating it to newer versions of the kernel as time allows. If you have comments, suggestions, or corrections you'd like to make, please email me. Technical corrections in particular would be appreciated. Hopefully this can be as accurate and helpful as possible, and will inspire more people to look into the Linux scheduler.

My employer, SGI, did not ask me to write this paper - it was done as part of a school project last semester. While SGI owns the copyright to the paper, they have allowed me to release it under the GNU FDL.

--
Josh Aas
Linux System Software