reboot hangs on Toshiba Satellite 1800 laptop

From: Meelis Roos
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 15:59:00 EST

This seems to be an old problem (google tells it was the same in 2.2 kernels) but now it troubles me. I have a laptop, Toshiba Satellite 1800 (Celeron 1.1 GHz, ALi chipset). It works fine but rebooting from linux always hangs the machine hard. The last thing seen is "Rebooting", after thatt the screen goes black, fan turns on and nothing more happens. I can press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and the it powers off and I can power it on and work as usual.

I'm running 2.6.11-rc3+BK.

Tried booting with acpi=off, noapic, noapic+nolapic, lapic - no go.
This laptop has local APIC turned off by BIOS so I tried the following kernel boot options with both lapic and without lapic: reboot=w, reboot=c, reboot=b, reboot=h. Still hangs.

There is a hint in google tyhat turning off APIC cures it but it does not seem to work for me.

Any ideas?

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@xxxxxxxx)