Re: 2.6.11-rc3-mm2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 04:14:56 EST

* Matt Mackall <mpm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So the comparison boils down to putting a magic gid in a sysfs
> file/module parameter or setting an rlimit with standard tools (PAM,
> etc). I'm really boggled that anyone could prefer the former,
> especially since we had almost this exact debate over what became the
> mlock rlimit!

the big difference to mlock is that for mlock there _is_ a _limit_. For
RT scheduling the priority is _NOT_ a _limit_. Okay? So you give the
false pretense of this being some kind of resource 'limit', while in
fact allowing SCHED_FIFO prio 1 alone enables unprivileged users to lock
up the system.

so i could agree with RLIMIT_NICE (which _is_ a limit), but
RLIMIT_RTPRIO sends the wrong message. The proper rlimit would be
RLIMIT_RT_CPU (the patch i did).

Ingo