Re: 2.6.11-rc3-mm2

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 03:44:33 EST

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:14:22AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > I think it's important to recognize that we're trying to address an
> > issue that has a much wider potential audience than pro audio users,
> > and not very far off - what is high end audio performance today will
> > be expected desktop performance next year.
>
> i disagree that desktop performance tomorrow will necessarily have to
> utilize SCHED_FIFO. Today's desktop audio applications perform quite
> good at SCHED_NORMAL priorities [with the 2.6.11 kernel that has more
> interactivity/latency fixes such as PREEMPT_BKL].

Desktop performance tomorrow will want realtime audio AND video.
Think simultaneous record and playback of multiple high-definition
video streams. There's a demand for this; my company already sells it.

> the pro applications will always want to have a 100% guarantee (it
> really sucks to generate a nasty audio click during a live performance)
> and want to utilize as much CPU time for audio as needed. They are also
> clearly the most complex creators of audio so they go far above the
> normal (and reasonable) CPU-use/latency expectations and tradeoffs of
> the stock scheduler.

The pro will want to do his work on a stock desktop system. More
importantly, the hobbyist will want to do exactly what the pro is
doing on the same system.

> > So I think it's critical that we find solution that's appropriate for
> > _every single box_, because realistically vendors are going to ship
> > with this "wholly self-contained" feature turned on by default next
> > year, at which point the "containment" will be nil and whatever warts
> > it has will be with us forever.
>
> an "RT priorities rlimit" is still not adequate as a desktop solution,
> because it still allows the box to be locked up. Also, if it turns out
> to be a mistake then it's already codified into the ABI, while RT-LSM is
> much less 'persistent' and could be replaced much easier. RT-LSM is also
> more flexible and more practical. (an rlimit needs changes across a
> number of userspace components, delaying its adoptation.)

I'm very suspicious about being able to rip out RT-LSM once it's
introduced. See devfs. And I think the adoption barrier thing is a red
herring as well: the current users are by and large compiling their
own RT-tuned kernels.

> > The rlimit stuff is not perfect, but it's a much better fit for the
> > UNIX model generally, which is a fairly big win. [...]
>
> a 'locked up box' is as far away from the UNIX model as it gets.

Rlimits are already the favored tool for dealing with the classic UNIX DoS:
the fork bomb. Turn off process limits, tada, locked up box.