[CHECKER] Does sys_sync (ext2, 2.6.x) flush metadata?

From: Junfeng Yang
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 03:01:42 EST

Hi,

We're working on a file system checker and have a question regarding what
sys_sync actually does. It appears to us that sys_sync should sync both
data and metadata, and wait until both data and metadata hit the disk
before it returns. Is this true for all the file systems (especially
ext2) for kernel 2.6.x? I've gotten many "error" traces for ext2, where
directory entries are not flushed to disk after sys_sync. In other words,
even if users do call sys_sync, a crash after sys_sync call can still
cause file losses. Is this intended?

Thanks,
-Junfeng