Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001 release

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 01:48:35 EST

> Greg KH (gregkh@xxxxxxx) said:
> > I'd like to announce, yet-another-hotplug based userspace project:
> > linux-ng. This collection of code replaces the existing linux-hotplug
> > package with very tiny, compiled executable programs, instead of the
> > existing bash scripts.
> >
> > It currently provides the following:
> > - a /sbin/hotplug multiplexer. Works identical to the existing
> > bash /sbin/hotplug.
>
> How does this interact with current usage of udevsend as the hotplug
> multiplexer?

First off, not everyone wants to use udev (I know, horrible thought...)
This provides those people a solution to a "I want a tiny /sbin/hotplug"
problem.

Also, udevstart working as /sbin/hotplug is great for keeping things in
order, which is important during normal operation. But during the boot
sequence, the odds of getting out-of-order events, or even remove
events, is somewhat limited. So, this /sbin/hotplug replacement can
work in an initrd/initramfs image when udevstart would be overkill.

And finally, even if you do use udevstart to manager /sbin/hotplug
events, you still need a module autoloader program. This package
provides executables for that problem, if you don't want to (or you
can't) use the existing linux-hotplug scripts. udev will never do the
module loading logic, so there's no duplication in this case.

Hope this helps. I do realize the whole hotplug process is getting a
bit complicated. I hope to write up some good documentation on what all
is involved to help clear up some of the confusion that the combination
of udev, udevsend, udevd, hal, /etc/hotplug.d/, /etc/dev.d/,
and /sbin/hotplug have caused lately.

thanks,

greg k-h