Re: [RFC] Linux Kernel Subversion Howto

From: James Bruce
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 00:48:54 EST

While I agree with your overall sentiment, please compare apples to apples regarding the license. You said:

Larry McVoy wrote:
I don't come here every month and ask for
the GPL to be removed from some driver, that's essentially what you are
doing and I think pretty much everyone is sick of it.

The GPL doesn't state that "You and anyone at your company are not allowed to work on any operating system software under any non-GPL license." While that would be a perfectly valid license (just like the BK one), obviously it would generate a fairly steady stream of complaints. It's not like people have stopped complaining about how the GPL forces them to release any code they link with it. The boundary of a license will always create friction. This will be especially true as in the BK license, which was expressly designed to be irritating to a certain class of people (who now whine about it).

A more directly relevant example would be the following: What if a new version of CVS had a license with a clause stating the following: "Any repository touched by CVS 1.2 may not be imported into into BK, unless you first remove all checkin comments. This is because we don't help people who are competing with us." Sure, that's a 100% legitimate license, and binding due to standard copyright goodness, yet I would expect BitMover people to complain about it. What we have now is exactly the same thing in reverse. Get used to the complaints because your license is achieving exactly what you meant it to do.

- Jim